Well, I'm starting to figure out a few things.
First, I'm not quite the Mario Andretti I thought I was. Everyone competing in the series has a real grip on performance driving. This isn't a group of teenage wannabe's out there to bend some metal.
Second, the best thing to be in racing is clean. Most of the time the other guy will beat himself by making a mistake.
Third, beware the Red Mist. This is a mistake people make when they take off from the starting line and feel like they have to pass half the field in the first lap. When that happens, see above.
To that point, the Red Mist got the better of a driver behind me and he punted me and another car off the track in turn 1 of lap 1 and I wound up dead last. This was a bit of a bummer as I had qualified 8th out of 18. Of course, that netted him a 10 second stop and go penalty.

I made up a few places, but some mistakes kept me at the back of the pack. No points for race 1. In race 2, I was able to stay out of trouble, but ended up cutting a couple of corners which got me a stop and go penalty as well. As much as I don't like penalties, I like the realism that this online racing thing brings. No points for race 2 either. I'm still optimistic that I can make a run for a top 3 finish in the championship, but I've got to get more consistent. We'll see how it shakes out.
I'm going to miss this week's race as the out-law..., er, um, I mean IN, IN, I said IN-laws are coming to town and we are headed to Kentucky for the weekend. Next race is on May 23rd at Valencia.
2 comments:
Yes, I read that! I know it was intended for me---hey, I'm the best out---uh, I mean "in-law" you know! See ya soon. And you will LOVE Kentucky.
By the way---I really am beginning to understand what your racing is all about. Glad you enjoy it, it would make me a nervous wreck (no pun intended). Just let me have Tetris.
Post a Comment