Wednesday, August 13, 2008

One of those days!

Have you ever had one of those days that just don't seem to go as planned? It's been a crazy and stressful week. I stayed up last night getting things ready for today and making my list of things to do. Well, I should have just gone to bed and gotten more sleep! My day started out fine. I had high hopes of getting up to Nathan's school early to work on some of my PTO stuff. I made it to the school, but later than I anticipated. I ended up staying later than I planned. I saw that a friend needed some help, so I stayed to help. I was getting hungry and I wanted to get home for lunch and get on with the rest of my day! Just as I was getting ready to leave the office, the school was put on lockdown! Those words are enough to make a mom panic! I did okay, for the first second. Ryan and I were put in the "vault" room -- where all the files are. I realized the door couldn't lock from the inside and I started to panic some more. I didn't know what was going on. I cracked the door opened and told the secretary we were heading to the bathroom and I was locking the door. I told her I would not open the door unless whoever was at the door knew my name and I knew them! I immediately started praying for Nathan and all of us at the school. I then pulled out my cell phone to call Jason, but I had no cell service! Great, huh!? So I panicked a little bit more. After about 10 mins. or so the secretary came to the door, so I let her in! She said that Ryan and I could go back to the vault room.... at least there was a T.V. in there. So, off we went. That's when I was informed that the school was okay, but we were still on lockdown. There was a bank robbery in the area and so all area schools were put on lockdown. I had just a bit of cell service long enough to call Jason and let him know where I was! Ryan and I camped out in the vault room at the school for an hour and a half watching t.v. I was starving and Ryan was a happy little camper. I laid down and was going to take a nap to get my mind off the hunger. Before I drifted off to sleep, we were released! Whew! I was outta there! Not how I planned to spend my day, what about you? Never a dull moment!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Karen, at least you were INSIDE the school for the lockdown. One time when I was picking up Ethan, I pulled into the parking lot, with Annabella and Preston in the car, only to find out that the school was on lockdown. They then locked the gates in and out of the parking lot (but there are little entrances where people can still walk in or out.) As I was waiting, yes, a bit panicky, I found out that two men had been running through the school field with guns and they didn't know where they were hiding. Gee, what if they decided to tap on my window because my car looked like it might make a perfect getaway car? It's big enough to crash through the gates, right??? :) They FINALLY released everyone. (They caught the guys hiding underneath a school shed.)
Oh....and we missed Ethan's dentist appointment! Those ARE those kinds of days, but the Lord kept us safe.

Karen said...

I remember that time. It still wasn't easy being inside... and can't get to your child. If I had been in his classroom or with other people, it wouldn't have been so bad. Oh, well... that day is over. Let's see what God has in store today. I'm off to the DMV to get my license renewed. Yipee!