What a great month it has been. From the decorating, shopping, wrapping, caroling, festivities, baking and cooking, fellowshipping and worshipping. The list could go on and on.
I for some reason have always had a difficult time at the holidays. Usually from Thanksgiving thru New Years. I can't really put my finger on it except for things were just different, not the same as what I had always known, grown up with. Living away from all my family doesn't exactly help either. In our almost 12 years of marriage, this year FINALLY was different. Different in a very good way and I ENJOYED it immensely. I don't really know what the difference was, but it was wonderful. Don't get me wrong, I still missed all my family and the traditions of what I grew up with, with all of them.
Maybe it's the fact that the boys are getting old enough to really have fun and involved in the Christmas fun. We are starting our own family traditions and it's so neat to see them getting into them. We started this year with an advent calendar that we did together as a family. We got it from church and it was so neat. We unfortunately didn't do it EVERY day, but we got pretty close. It was a special time for the 4 of us to sit down and talk about in depth the TRUE meaning of CHRISTmas! We had some great discussions.
We also started a new tradition of making a birthday cake for Jesus... not just any cake like we'd done in years past. This cake had special meaning! (I'll post more later on it.)
Being with the boys this year, just us, was a great start for me to realize that THEY are my family too! I am so thankful that God allowed me to see this and to make it a priority. This year was a very special Christmas and it had nothing to do with the gifts, except for the gift of God's son Jesus!
No comments:
Post a Comment