Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Great Outdoors -- pt. 2

So we awoke to pretty sunshine to begin Day 2 of the great outdoors. Jason and Kevin got started on the famous breakfast burritos. I made the kids and me yummy pancakes and bacon. After breakfast we noticed it was getting cloudy and looked like rain. So we pulled out the handy dandy cell phone to check out the Weather on the internet. Thank goodness for portable electronics. However, we saw rain to the west, but we couldn't get the radar to show the path it was moving. We decided to take a hike. As we were heading to the trail, we noticed a lot of people packing up and moving out. We wondered if they knew something that we didn't, but needed to know. Jason and Kevin inquired at the campground office about the weather forecast. They informed us that the rain was going south of us, we were fine. So... off we went on our hike. After about a mile and a half of hiking, the kids were hot and tired and wanted to go back. So, we turned around and headed back. That's when Jason had the brilliant idea to stop at the park office so we could cool off in the AC. We were looking forward to sitting down and cooling off a bit. When we got to the office we were bummed to find out that they were closed the entire weekend. So, forget the AC! Instead we relaxed in the hot sunshine that decided to return.


Kevin and Tracie fixed lunch for us back at the campsite. After lunch, Tracie and I hung out while the 2 little ones napped. The guys took the 2 older boys to the creek to play and catch crawfish. Tracie and I were relaxing and enjoying the quiet. I was thinking to myself... "Ok, this isn't so bad. Maybe I could learn to like this a little bit." While we were sitting there Tracie and I both heard a child crying in the far distance. Neither of us said anything, but just looked at each other. Then she said, "I swear I hear Austin crying." " I told her I thought I heard him too. We tried to blow it off, but a momma knows her baby's cry, right? So she called Kevin on his cell phone to check in and to see if Austin was crying. Kevin assured her all was well and that Austin wasn't crying. Well, not yet! Maybe it was a premonition. A little bit later, the guys came back with Austin hobbling. He had fallen and cut his knee. We cleaned him up and he was good to go.


When the 2 little guys woke from their nap, we all went to the creek to enjoy our time in the woods. We had a great evening eating dinner, making S'mores, playing games, and the kids watching a movie. Around 11pm we decided to call it a day.

Tomorrow I will post a slide show from Day 2.

No comments: