Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Great Outdoors -- pt. 3 (AKA: Nightfall)

We got in our tents and laid our head down when all of a sudden it started to rain. I looked at Jason and said, "Oh, great!" He said, "Don't worry, it's just a little rain." So after about 30 mins. of a little rain, I drifted to sleep. Then we woke up to some heavy rain and zipped up the tent windows, but left just enough open for some circulation. I was really wanting our house and our bed. I don't like the rain when I am at home, much less sleeping in a tent. I am not one of those who loves to sleep while it's raining. I was doing much better than I thought, though. I laid there as Jason and the kids were sleeping and just listened to the rain beating on the tent. It sounded like popcorn! I finally drifted to sleep again. A little while later I awoke to heavy rain and lots of crying! Someone was not happy! I just knew it was Austin. Austin is not a fan of the rain either. He's only 7, but is very technologically savvy. He checks the weather every morning at home and gets worried if he sees there is ANY chance of rain. So as I lay there listening to it pour on our tent and hearing a child wailing. I began to pray that Austin would settle down and be comforted during the rainstorm. But the more I prayed and listened, the more crying and rain I heard. I finally prayed myself to sleep. I don't know how long I had been asleep, but I was asleep UNTIL..... we ALL (Jason, Kevin, Tracie and myself) heard A POP! POP! POP! It was 3 am. Jason and I bolted out of "bed" and unzipped the front tent window. We saw Kevin and Tracie had done the same and were shining their powerful flashlight ahead. That's when we saw that are wonderful tent/canopy over the picnic table had collected too much water on top and collapsed snapping and ripping the canopy. We got our wits about us and Jason and I decided to get up (in the rain at 3 am) and get all the contents under the tent to the car. Kevin and Tracie willfully joined us. We also decided to take the canopy apart and pack wad it up. After an hour we had it all done. We thought we were going to go back to bed and wait until morning to pack up to head home. We had decided to all stop at Cracker Barrel to eat on our way home. What a great time it would have been. However, that didn't happen. Nope, it was now 4 am and it started to thunder and lightning in the far distance. We all looked at each other and said, "Nope, let's get the boys." All the boys were sacked out, they had no idea it was even raining. Side note: Austin was not the poor boy crying his eyes out during the rainstorm. I was praying for another child across the campground. By the way..... the packed up and headed out during the rain too. So we woke the boys, got them safely into the vans and proceeded to pack EVERYTHING up and head home. At 4:38 am we were pulling out of the campgrounds. It was a whirlwind. I was EXHAUSTED and just wanted to be home. We pulled up to the house at 5:50 am and put the boys to bed. Jason and I unloaded the van and sorted all the camping stuff. I did 3 loads of laundry and lots of putting things away. Jason had to put the tent back up, hose it off, let it dry and finally put it up. As we were driving home, Jason looked at me and said, "So, I guess this is it for ya, huh?" I said, "Babe, I'm sorry, but I am never, ever going camping again." He asked, "So what's your title going to be for the blog on this story? Hey, is that Noah I saw standing over there?" I got so tickled (maybe because I was so sleep deprived), but I said, "No, but that's a good one. I am thinking about calling it These Shoes. "These shoes?" he asked. ""Yep, these shoes. These shoes are goin' walkin' and they're never going back. I am done. I am throwing in the towel." He looked at me and said, "Yep, I thought so. I understand. I'm just so glad that you were here for the boys first camping trip." I said, "I am too (I think), I just won't be joining in on any others. I'll listen to the stories and look at the pictures, but no more camping for me!"


I must say, we did make it to Cracker Barrel for breakfast around 9 am. Of course as soon as we got home, we got the boys settled in the playroom and Jason and I went to bed.


A week later, I look back on our trip and I can honestly say, that I had a good time.... at times. I really enjoyed the company. (Thanks Kevin ,Tracie and boys for battling the storm with us.) I know the boys will have good memories of their first camping trip. I will certainly have memories, but not all good. Maybe in another 7 1/2 years I may try it again. Only then, I will be sleeping in a hotel! We'll see..... I did however, notice the pattern continued from my previous camping trips. There's just something about nightfall!

5 comments:

Phh said...

Well at least you had a grocery list. Just think how miserable it would have been if Jason had forgotten the kabobs.... :) (Seriously, your grocery lists are great. We get great food AND we get to tease J.)

-Andy

Sallie said...

Oh Karen - I am so sorry. Maybe you and the fam should come join us - don't know that it will improve any - but misery sure does love company. Or, I just had a brilliant idea while typing - maybe we should camp in Alaska - it's the land of the midnight sun. You wouldn't have to deal with nightfall then! Seriously - next time we camp and there will be a next time, we will let you know.

Anonymous said...

Karen-

Glad that I could experience your last camping trip with you. BTW, why didn't we just leave the gear and go to the hotel that is on the grounds of the state park?

We had a blast, even if the storm shortened our trip, and we'll do it again. And we'll always have breakfast buritos! Mmmmm.

Kevin

Anonymous said...

I went camping with you before!!! Do you remember? I really think we were in the same tent! Do you remember you ran over a log and got the wind knocked out of you? I think it was you... or was it me?We saw raccoons and I used an outhouse for the first time ever. I was there for the first one... I'm glad you had your last!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been a little birdie in the tree watching this whole event. I think I would have laughed and laughed, but probably cried a little and prayed a lot too. But, Karen, it makes for great stories to tell your grandchildren some day. Hey, you might try again---never say never!