Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Butterflies

Nathan's 2nd grade class has been learning about butterflies. They each had a their own caterpillar and observed the life cycle. Yesterday was a big day for his class. They had a butterfly release party. Ryan and I went to help out.

When we got there the kids were writing goodbye letters to their precious butterflies. They got to read their letter if they chose. It was amazing how attached the kids got to their "pet." Nathan had 2 butterflies, Drake and Josh.

We all went outside and waved goodbye to the butterflies. Some of the kids were crying! How sad! One of the butterflies flew to Nathan. He was SURE that it was one of HIS... either Drake or Josh. "He couldn't tell." He said, "Mommy, he just doesn't want to go! I am going to miss them." I told him it was the right thing to do and that we'd have to watch for butterflies in our yard. We might just see his butterflies again!

Back in the classroom, the kids made bracelets with beads representing the life cycle of a butterfly. Then they ate "butterfly" cupcakes. Today they are making butterfly masks.

They all learned so much! It was such a neat experience.

** I'll add a slide show of pictures soon!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nathan, have you seen any butterflies in your yard yet? I hope Drake or Josh comes to see you.