I don't post much and should post more. But, I have a minute and just wanted to put a note on the page. As usual, it pertains to cars. Or, more specifically, my car. But first, a little history. Those who have known me for a while will know this, but for those new to the post, here's the story.
I'm not the type person who has to have a new car every year. Or every 3 years. Or even every 5 years. Once I decide that I like a car, I like it for good. Even when the newness wears off. When I was in college, I really wanted a 1988 BMW M3. My girlfriend at the time just couldn't understand why I wanted it. "It's the old body style", she would say. To me, it was a sharp car. Actually, it still is and I still want a 1988 M3.
Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to have a new car and I regularly wander car lots dreaming of what it would be like to pull off the lot in one. However, God has given me the gift of contentment and I have other priorities in my life now that command my finances and that's by no means a bad thing.
My love for cars goes beyond just the style. I like performance and I LOVE driving! Anything from tearing around an autocross course, to cruising down a country road on a peaceful afternoon, to mixing it up with my brother through online racing on our computers. Behind the wheel with open road in front of me is one of the best places I can be.
Which brings me to almost being there. In 1993, two months after graduating college, I purchased a brand new Honda Accord LX sedan. White with blue interior, 5 speed and AM/FM stereo cassette even!!! Not exactly a true peformance machine, but a solid ride nonetheless and it fit my budget. Well, it's 2008 and I'm still driving that same Accord. Not so shiny and a little dented, but still a solid ride. And next week, I will surpass 300,000 miles. Not many people out there have driven the same car for 15 years and it's really fun to think of all the memories I have. I've had that car longer than I've had almost all my friends. Longer than I've known Karen. For a short time, my car even had a name. Chloe. My entire professional career has been spent driving my Accord and I still love it. I'm putting a camera in the car and plan to pull over, wherever I am and take a picture of the place where I pass the 300,000 mile mark. I'll post it next week. Look for it.
This may sound silly, but I truly thank God for my Honda. I'm wrestling right now whether to just try to keep it running until I can buy another car, or put some money into it and try to go another 300,000 miles! Some people think that's the most ridiculous idea in the world, but they'll never understand that it's not just a car anymore. It's an extension of who I am and part of my history. I'd just as soon get rid of Ryan's premie diapers. Or the first picture Nathan put on his wall. Or the "Coach" shirt Karen got me as a way to tell me she was pregnant with our first child.
Anyway, look for the pictures next week. And say a prayer for Chloe!
2 comments:
Wow. That's impressive. Congrats!
Somewhere, an old Chevy Beretta weeps softly...
Chloe must be preserved at all costs. 300k is just breaking it in. You forget one little factoid: 300k and the original clutch! That, my friend is the most impressive. Obviously you never had to teach your sister how to drive a stick shift... At 300k, you have to add the gold package. I think it's the law... or maybe its spinners....
Andy
Post a Comment