Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My Enemy

en-e-my:–noun
1. a person who feels hatred for, fosters harmful designs against, or engages in antagonistic activities against another; an adversary or opponent.


I don't think there is anyone who has a hatred for me, really.  At least I hope not.  I know I can't please everyone, but hey....   Anywho, I personally have a STRONG hatred for something. Yes, something.  And what may that be, you ask?  Baking with Yeast!  Yep, yeast.  I don't know what it is, but yeast and I don't mix.  We are like oil and water. 

Now, I have been told and I do think so myself that I am a pretty good cook.  I like to cook and bake, most days.  ;)  I have tried many, many times to work with yeast and Every. Single. Time. = FLOP! 

I don't know what I do to the yeast to make it HATE me.  Really, it does.  So you can see, it is a mutual feeling! 

I received a new cookbook for Christmas - (a girl can never have too many cookbooks, right?)


Get it here -- LOVE it, by the way. 

Well, all except for one recipe.  Which was, you guessed it, a FLOP!  I tried, once again to conquer my yeast dilema.  I decided to try making the pizza dough.  Homemade pizza dough.  Yum!  Right?

I got out my new handy dandy thermometer to test the water, cause frankly I must admit in the past I wondered if my problem working with yeast was the temp. of my water.  Makes sense, I know.  If I have it too cold, it won't activate the yeast, if I have it too hot, it kills the yeast.  So... back to the thermometer.  I checked the temperature.... PERFECT!  I was SO proud that I was going to have a yummy, delicious pizza crust.  I was determined, ya'll. 

So, I did EXACTLY what the recipe said.  Then came the fun part.  Mixing it.  UGH!  Let me let you in on an important fact.  I don't own a stand mixer.  (Are you seeing where this is going?)  I got out my trusty little hand mixer.  I sure didn't want to stand there all night and mix it by hand.  Well, if only you could have been a fly on the wall.  I tell ya... it was A SIGHT!  I could have won some $ on AFV with a video of my escapade.  My little mixer mixed just fine, but it never got to the "ball" stage.  I tried hand stirring it.  OH. MY. GOODNESS!  My arm just about fell off.  Seriously.  By this time, I was mad, frustrated, angry, messy, ready to give up. 

I called J in to help me.  Why??  I don't know.  I wanted help.  I wanted someone to FIX my issue.  That's what guys like to do, right?  Fix things.  Offer suggestions.  Especially on how to do things the best way.  Well, he doesn't know a whole lot about cooking or baking.  I did remember that he worked at a national pizza chain. A l-o-n-g time ago.  Guess what, they didn't make their dough.  It came to them pre-made.  No help!

So, I kept working with it.  Mind you, the sticky mess was all over the kitchen and me!  Bottom line.  We didn't have homemade pizza crust.  It ALL went in the garbage.  I cringed.  I don't like to waste things.  I have a problem with that.  A good one I guess. 

I promised myself that night, a few short weeks ago, that I WOULD persevere.  I just needed time to get over my latest episode with my enemy! 

Stay tuned for the next chapter!

3 comments:

Gail@Sophisticated Steps said...

When this post popped up in my "dashboard", I read your title "My Enemy" and then I saw a picture of The Pioneer Woman next to it and I was like "WHAT? Oh, dear! What did she just post?!" LOL. Then...I read it all. So glad to know it's just yeast.

That is bizarre. You definitely know how to cook, so what is the problem? I'm no yeast expert...does it have anything to do with altitude?

Liked your recap of the story...and you asked Jason? Now THAT'S funny. Sorry, Jason.

Okay, wait. And HOW did I not know he was a pizza guy? Me thinks he withheld that on purpose! heh, heh

Karen said...

Oh, his stint at the pizza chain wasn't long. Forgot exactly. A little longer than the weekend at the unmentionable "green burger" establishment. This was way before I knew him.

Becky said...

Hold on! Help is on the way. We will do yeast lessons at least one day during my visit. YOU CAN DO THIS! You are my daughter, you are my mother's granddaughter, you are her mother's great-granddaughter. We are not about to skip a generation. It is in your genes. So we don't need pizza man or anybody who ever worked in that so-called hamburger place. LOL