Friday, April 8, 2011

Endurance

Anyone remember the Presidential Fitness Awards in school?  I do!  Not necessarily with fond memories though.  The testing always made me nervous.  Test anxiety... even in P.E.  Sheesh! 



Anyway,  a few weeks ago Nathan brought home his fitness scores/goals for P.E.  He always looks forward to P.E. but has really locked in on running.  The mile run was his favorite.  His best was 10:30 and he was happy with that.  He just wanted to do better.  Yeah, he's competitive like that.  To receive the PFA you have to beat 9:30.  His goal was to do even better and try for 9:00.  I was proud of him of setting a goal to work towards.

For a few weeks, he's been talking about what he needed to eat the morning of the endurance race.  What he wore, was just as important.  He really listened to what the coaches had to say about pacing themselves to run the mile too. 



For breakfast I made sweet potato pancakes, farm fresh scrambled eggs and a yummy vitamin packed smoothie.  We all enjoyed the delicious start to our day, running a mile or not!   

I was so excited to pick the boys up from school.  I am proud to report that Nathan beat his record of 10:30:00.  He even beat his goal of  9:00  Ya'll, he shaved off  2 mins. and 24 secs from his orginial time.  He came in 3rd out of 45 kids with a time of, wait for it...... 8:06!  Reached his goal, made the PFA, but most importantly he did his best!  So very proud him!  He's considering running cross-country/track team in the future. 


And of course he has a little shadow who wants to be just like his big brother. 

4 comments:

Becky said...

Super proud of Nathan. I look forward to watching him grow and become even better. Great pictures of both little guys and makes me miss them all the more.

I love my grandkids!!!

Gail@Sophisticated Steps said...

Oh my goodness, NATHAN! That is amazing!!! Must have been something in those pancakes! (Okay, and lots of hard work.) So proud of you! You and Ethan should race next time we're together! He loved being on his Cross Country team.

Looks like Ryan is gaining on him! Too cute.

Karen, I need that pancake recipe again. :) Over the phone doesn't work.

Sophisticated Steps

Karen said...

Thanks! He was pumped, just proud of himself for pushing through the cramps in his side and finishing by surpassing his goal.

Phil 4:13- I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me.

Gail- I'll email you the pancake recipe. Super easy and delish!

Mr. and Mrs. Jackson said...

Wow! Way to go, Nathan! I'm proud of you!

...and I love that Ryan wants to be just like you! You are a great role model for him! :)