Sunday, April 10, 2011

Love of Reading

We are a family who likes to read.  I love that my boys have a love of books/reading.  Nathan blows through chapter books in about 2 days, sometimes less.  Ryan reads away and enjoys a variety of books.  He has been reading for a couple of years and he's only 6.  I can't wait to see how they both blossom in their love for reading.

Their school held a Family Reading Night.  We arrived to find a list of games broken down by grades and location.  We decided to start outside with the P.E. coaches.  I thought it was neat they had them involved too.  The first game the kids had to attempt to shoot a basketball into the hoop.  If they scored a basket, they chose a colored sentence strip from a stack.  Then the next child in line took a shot.  Once all the strips had been chosen, they had to put them in order to make a story.  The two older boys got busy grabbing and putting them in order.  Little Ryan starting reading them. He found something that wasn't right and moved it to make sense!  That's my boy! 


For the 2nd P.E. reading game, one of the coaches tossed a ball to them (according to their grade level). For Nathan, the ball had labels with different words they had learned this year.  Wherever his thumb landed, he read the word and had to give the definition.  The labels had Math, Science, Language, etc. words.  I was impressed!  Nathan did a great job!  Metaphor was his first word and he nailed it.

Ryan's labels were alphabet letters.  Where ever his thumb landed, he was to tell the letter and give the sound that it made.  Coach was quite impressed he knew them all without skipping a beat and even knew 2 sounds for C.  Way to go, Ryan!



Inside the gym each grade level had tables with at least 2 games for the kids to play.  Parents were also given copies of the games so we can play them at home. 




Then onto the computer lab to play games on, well... computers, of course.  Ryan headed straight for the iPad.  I am amazed more and more all you can do on those! Yes, now we all want one of those too.I was given a list of educational reading games for them to play at home. 



Last we ended in the library for the book fair.  They each bought a new book.  Which they began reading as soon as we got in the car. 

 We had a great time and learned along the way.  I love it when kids learn and don't even realize it because they are having so much fun.  It's a win/win situation!  Now, I think I'll go read something.

1 comment:

Gail@Sophisticated Steps said...

How cool! We already knew your boys were little smarties. :)

iPads are too awesome for words. (That feels wrong starting a sentence with a lowercase letter!)

Sophisticated Steps