We took the boys to the county fair on a school night! It was the night before public school started here. Not only were the boys excited to go, but to get to stay out late on a school night was a BIG deal! It was sooo fun! We had a great time. We stayed until after 10 pm and you know what….. we didn’t have to worry about getting up early and getting off to school. We slept in a little later than usual and started school around 9:30. It was awesome!
The fair has gotten pricey… man! We had a budget and stuck to it. Even though we didn’t get to ride a lot of rides, the boys were so appreciative. Nathan wanted to ride this one particular ride. For the life of me I can’t remember the name of it. It’s like the Himalaya, but the car swings. Anyway, he didn’t want to ride it alone, so I rode with him. He was so scared before the ride even started he was gripping the bar white knuckled. Once we got going he liked it for a FEW seconds. Then when I looked over, he was just saying, “Mommy, I want them to stop. I want to get off. Make them stop it!” I explained they couldn’t. Then as it was slowing down, he remembered it was going to go backwards next. He wasn’t real happy about that. He survived the ride and he kept his dinner! But he wasn’t a fan. Well, a little bit (he told me).
They had a cute little exhibit this year at the fair called A Day in the Life of a Farmer. They boys each got a basket and a vest when we walked in. Their first stop was to get a bag of corn kernels and soybean seeds. Then they went around to each station doing something and getting something for their basket. They got an egg from the hen house after feeding the (pretend) chicken ,picked an apple in the orchard, they feed a (pretend) cow and then milked it and got a carton of milk. They also planted corn kernels in the garden and then picked a tomato, potato and green pepper. Next they went to the farmer’s market and sorted everything in their basket into the appropriate place at the market. They got paid (a dollar) for selling their goods. Last, they went to the grocery store and bought a snack. They had several choices and they of course wanted one of each, but they both decided on an ice cream sandwich. It was a really neat educational experience. The loved it so much, they wanted to do it again! Really, they wanted another snack! Boys!!!
I loved the entire night, but I have to say, my favorite part was the concert when we first got to the fair. We got to see and worship with The Katinas. I think they are wonderful! Nathan and Ryan were so into it, I was so glad. Yes, Ryan had his ear plugs in, but once they were in, he was dancing and clapping and doing his best to sing along. What a fun family outing!



No comments:
Post a Comment