Yesterday the boys and I attended a Back to School swim party with a local home school group. It was such a fun time for us all. The boys quickly made some new friends and had a blast. The party was held at one of our local Y's. Upon entering the pools, the kids could take a swim test to see if they were eligible for the "big pool" with water slides. Nathan wanted to try the test, but then decided against it. If you didn't try or didn't pass the test, you had to wear a life vest. If you wore a life vest you couldn't ride the big water slides. So, Nathan chose to wear a swim vest. Nathan and I both had some hesitation of whether or not he could complete the test. It was about half the length of an Olympic sized pool. They had to swim freestyle or the breaststroke, couldn't stop, touch the bottom or sides of the pool until the finish.
About the time the party was to be over, Nathan approached me that he wanted to try the swim test. I think he had convinced himself he could do it. I however, wasn't really convinced. I think I was a little more nervous than he was. I didn't want to see him try and fail. I knew he would beat himself up if he didn't make it. I wanted to protect him from a possible let down. Since there weren't a ton of people in line for the swim test, I figured it wouldn't be too hard on his ego if he failed the test, so I agreed to let him try. I was praying the entire way over to the test area, but still doubtful. My prayers were more for the dealings of the aftermath when he didn't pass.
Well, to my surprise... he passed! Boy, did he work HARD!!! He was such a trooper too! His first go round, he couldn't see and bumped into the side of the pool. Once the lifeguard got him some goggles, he had no problem. He was WORN out by the time he finished, but let me tell you..... HE was ELATED. I mean ON TOP OF THE WORLD! He had to find all his buddies to share the good news and of course go ride the water slides.
On our way back to find his friends, he kept saying, "I knew I could do it, Mom. I just knew it." I turned to him and told him how very proud I was of him and how hard he worked. I also had to tell him how sorry I was for being so doubtful in his abilities. He looked at me and said, "Dubious!?" I got SO tickled. You must know that dubious was one of his spelling/vocab. words for this week! YES!!!!! I WAS dubious, but oh, so proud! I learned my lesson and obviously he did too!
1 comment:
Proud of you, Nathan. I wasn't dubious! Hope you enjoyed the swim time with your friends.
Post a Comment